Everyone loves the idea of a bucket list – they love putting those guano items on the list to give them that kick in the ass to step out of their comfort zone; climbing Everest or seeing the inside of a volcano in Iceland or running with the bulls of Pamplona are common for the adventurous among us.
This isn’t really that kind of bucket list. I’m mostly a homebody so the act of going to the next state over is already way beyond my comfort zone. Hell, I don’t even have a passport.
But I’m trying to change that. This isn’t a New Year’s Resolution list that I’m going to dump my savings into completing in the next ~300 days. These are just places I want to see that I am making a note of so that I can share with you all as I check locations off the list.
Places within the United States
- Every state in the United States
- Every national park in the United States
- Every historical location mentioned in National Treasure
- Most northern, most southern, most eastern, and most western cities/towns in the United States
- Westernmost city/town in the world
Canada & Greenland
- Trans Canadian Highway
- Trans Canadian Railway
- British Columbia, Canada
- Alberta, Canada
- Yukon Territory, Canada
- Northwest Territories, Canada
- Nunavut, Canada
- Manitobah, Canada
- Ontario, Canada
- Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
- Nova Scotia, Canada
- Faroe Islands
- Northernmost city in the world
- Shetland & Orkney, Scotland
- Republic of Ireland
Western & Southern Europe
- Trans-Siberian Railroad
- Easternmost city in the world
Mexico, Central America & the Caribbean
- Costa Rica
- St Maarten
- French Guiana
- Southernmost city in the world
Africa & the Near East
- New Zealand
- Every Lord of the Rings filming location
- Sri Lanka
Like I said at the start of this, this isn’t an “I have to make it to every place on earth” bucket list. And I sure as hell am not finishing this list within the year – I don’t think anyone could do that even if the budget was no issue. I don’t expect to hit every place listed and I know there are more than a few countries I don’t have on these lists. Maybe I’ll add more eventually, maybe this will be the final draft. Who knows?
As I do hit these spots, I will have posts about my trip linked at the entry on the list, so do come back to this page as the “homepage” of my Vernes-ian travels.
Have you hit any of these spots? Do you have your own travel bucket list?
Let me know in the comments!